Frequently Asked Questions

Before you contract with anyone or any company claiming to be a professional in their industry we suggest that important questions be asked as to what their industry qualifying credentials are, what licenses they hold, what their experience is and if they have customer referrals whom you can contact.  We highly recommend that you do a small amount of homework on anyone before signing on the dotted line.
    How do I know if a company is properly licensed?

    Arizona State licensing is done through the Arizona Registrar of Contractors and any legally licensed contractor can be looked up at  the ROC's site

    Licensed contractors have gone through extensive training and testing to become legally licensed in the state of Arizona. Also the Registrar has insurance in place know as The Recovery Fund in case your contractor fails to meet the terms of your agreement.

    Back to Top

    Are there any bond requirements for a contractor's license?

    Yes. It is a contractor's responsibility to file a Contractor's Bond in the amount required for their license classification, and anticipated annual gross volume. The bond may be in the form of a surety bond or a cash bond. Information on bonding requirements are provided on the ROC's website at

    Residential contractors are also required to provide a consumer protection bond. This may be in the form of a Surety Bond or cash deposit in the amount of $200,000.00, or payment into the Residential Contractors' Recovery Fund. 

    Back to Top

    Who must be licensed as a contractor?

    Any business which contracts or offers to contract to build, alter, repair, add to, subtract from, improve, move, wreck or demolish any building, highway, road, railroad, excavation or other structure, development or improvement, or to do any part of the work must be a licensed contractor.

    Also included in work requiring a license is the erection of scaffolding, connections to utility service lines, metering devices and sewer lines, mechanical or structural service to a structure or improvement and any other work in connection with the project.

    "Contractor" includes subcontractors, floor covering contractors, landscape contractors and consultants representing themselves as having the ability to supervise or manage a construction project for the benefit of the property owner.

    Supervision or management includes hiring and firing of specialty contractors, scheduling of work on the project, and selection and purchasing of construction material.

    Contractors must be properly licensed before submitting bids.

    For example: a licensed landscaper is not licensed to connect any wires to an electrical service. For that, they would need an electrical license. 

    Back to Top

    How do I know if they are insured to do my work?

    Ask for the name of the company they  use for insurance and for the policy number. It has become typical for companies to carry at minimum of one million dollars of liability coverage as so many homes are increasing in value.  

    LiteSync ™ is insured with The Mahoney Group. 

    Not only do contractors need to carry general liability insurance they must also have workman's compensation insurance to cover the employees working for them.  If an employee of any business gets hurt on your personal property and the owner is not covered by workman's comp that employee can still sue you for damages because it happened on your property. 

    LiteSync ™ uses SCF Arizona, policy # 355102. 

    Back to Top

    What is the difference between a C-61, C-12, C-11 and L-11?

    Remodeling or repairs to existing structures or appurtenances, excluding swimming pools or spas, not to exceed $25,000 per project per dwelling. Work on electrical, plumbing, air conditioning systems, or boilers that require a building permit must be subcontracted to an appropriately licensed contractor. The scope of work allowed under the C-7 carpentry classification is included.

    Installation and repair of low voltage alarm, intercom, telephone, call, clock and television systems, including towers and antennas. 

    C-11 ELECTRICAL residential Only
    Installation and repair of electrical systems.

    L-11 ELECTRICAL Commercial Only
    Installation, alteration, and repair of any wiring, related electrical material and equipment used in the generating, transmitting, or utilization of electrical energy less than 600 volts, including all overhead electrical wiring on public right-of-ways for signs and street decorations, and all underground electrical distribution systems of less than 600 volts serving private properties. Installation, alteration, and repair on other than public right-of-ways of all outside, overhead, and underground electrical construction and all wiring in or on any building of less than 600 volts.

    LiteSync ™ holds both a C-11 and L-11 license in the state of Arizona. 

    Back to Top

    Can a landscaper install my outdoor lighting?

    Yes. However, you would want to make sure they calculate property lumen caps for Dark Sky law requirements.  Also, ask if they if they understand the variety of lighting techniques that, in combination, create an aesthetic and secure environment for anyone.  For each technique, there are fixtures that work better than others. These techniques such as tree up or down  lighting and silhouette/wall washing can create commonly desired effects. With these fixtures are also many lamp applications that can be incorporated for less maintenance and energy efficiency. The stock lamp that comes with the fixture is not usually the best choice for the project. 

    Lastly, if a landscaper does not carry a C-11 electrical license then they may be limited in the knowledge necessary  to implement the best overall design. 

    Back to Top

    Why would I hire a lighting designer verses an electrician?

    Professional lighting designers dedicate their careers exclusively to the art and science of lighting. There is no substitute for their level of expertise and professionalism. Similar to contractors in general, true lighting designers will have taken tests that qualify them as certified specialists or consultants in the lighting industry. 

    Here are some key benefits to using a lighting designer:

    • Meets the needs of the people who use the space.
    • Selects cost-effective and energy-efficient products most appropriate for the project.
    • Creates an innovative lighting solution that achieves the perfect balance of function and aesthetics.
    • Solves the unique lighting challenges of a wide range of interior and exterior environments.
    • Strengthens and enhances any space through creative, yet functional, lighting plans.

    Lighting designers are tremendous resource for innovative, practical and economically viable lighting solutions. They understand the role of lighting in architecture and interior design and rely on their extensive experience and knowledge of lighting equipment and systems to enhance and strengthen design. 

    Electricians on the other hand will simply install products that they know will get the job done and  that may not be the best choice for your particular application. However, electricians do understand the power needs and structural constraints better than lighting designers.  

    Understanding the customers need for both a qualified electrician and lighting specialist under one roof is what prompted David Rishor to create LiteSync ™ Because he is a Certified Lighting Specialists with the American Lighting Association and a licensed electrician with the ROC of Arizona, Mr. Rishor is considered to be a leading expert in the lighting, power and automation field and thus he continues to fill the gap in the design/build industry.  

    Back to Top

    What is the difference between an automation contractor and LiteSync ™?

    To Begin with, the construction of a structure has many stages. From the CAD blueprint design to the jurisdictions final inspection and customer’s walk through, the details can be deep to meet today’s requirements. The low voltage only license is fragmented in what they can do during the construction process because of their license limitations. They will specify the underground conduit and other piping needs for the electrical contractor to install as the electrical contractor has the training to properly install all types of plastic and metal raceways and he is already on the job doing such.

    Automation systems control high voltage power yet the automation dealer is not licensed to touch this power or terminate it, so once again they must contact the electrical contractor for the needs related to landing high voltage wires in automation control modules and other requirements. It becomes rather clear at this point, why have a low voltage license on the project at all when they can’t get their job done without hiring others to finish it? It simply makes no sense and ultimately costs the consumer. 

    While LiteSync ™ cannot control the evolution of an industry, we can recognize the problems and offer the consumer a correct means to an end. We have taken the time and effort to obtain the training and credentials needed to design and install systems related to lighting, integrated automation, high and low voltage power.

    Back to Top  



Home | Services About Us  |  Contact UsSite Map